30 MLB Team Power Rankings: Month Of May
Hunter Stokes (Chief Writer): Follow @stokes_hunter21
Follow The MLB Reports On Twitter Follow @mlbreports
*** Denotes Division Leaders
Records are before play Monday May.26, 2014
RK Team Last Wk Rnk () Current Rec – Last 16 Days Rec
1. ***San Francisco Giants 32 – 19 (3) 10 – 4: The Giants have the best team in the Majors record wise, and have done so without dominate pitching, and Buster Posey hasn’t taken off yet.
The San Fran players are using the ‘someone is always on fire’ offense. Even Brandon Hicks is clobbering HRs out of 2B. Depth prevails here. 4 Games up on the Dodgers.
2. ***Oakland Athletics 31 – 20 (2) 8 – 5: The A’s did lose 3 straight to the Blue Jays, however they had scored 76 runs in 11 Games prior, and pasted 10 on the board yesterday.
Showing that depth at Starting Pitching can do well even if players go down with TJ Surgery.
3. ***Detroit Tigers 28 – 19 (1) 7 – 8: The ‘Motown Boys’ were riding high after sweeping the Red Sox a week ago. A brutal plane delay ensued – and a 1 – 7 record.
Need Justin Verlander to resemble himself.
4. ***Atlanta Braves 28 – 22 (4) 8 – 7: Atlanta is the beneficiary of an injury riddled Nats club, however Justin Upton has picked it up.
When the younger Upton is hitting, the Braves are winning. Braves just find ways to win even with substandard hitting from 2B and B.J. Upton too.
5. St. Louis Cardinals 28 – 23 (13) 10 – 4: A big homestand has corrected the ship – and they have still have played 6 more away from Busch Stadium.
Unbelievable that Yadier Molina has keeps becmong better every year at the plate even though he is older. Has thrown out 12 – 22 baserunners.
6. LA Dodgers 28 – 24 (6) 8 – 6: Held opponents without hits for 55 straight AB from Saturday May. 24 – May. 26th, including Josh Beckett‘s no hitter, and Hyun-jin Ryo throwing 7 perfect innings yesterday.
7. ***Toronto 30 – 22 (9) 11 – 3: 7 straight wins, and are enjoying a torrid streak for Encarnacion.
8. ***Milwaukee Brewers 30 – 22 (5) 7 – 8: ‘The Brew Crew’ has been fading for a couple of weeks. Francisco Rodriguez has given up several runs in his last few outings.
Trout is still playing decent, just not at MVP caliber type rate yet.
11. NY Yankees 27 – 23 (12) 8 – 7: Staying afloat despite Masahiro Tanaka, and the injury taxi squads.
A lot of underachieving offensive talents. Derek Jeter with a decent road trip (10 – 33, .303)
Ichiro Suzuki playing a nice role in a backup position, Bullpen and young starters helping oiut.
They lose for the weirdest of reasons. Not so easy to win like 2012 is it fellas? Dropping rankings fast.
Doug Fister looking a lot better in his last few starts.
14. Colorado 27 – 24 (10) 5 – 9: The Rockies are 5 – 10 in their last 15 road games, and are night and day away from Coors Field.
15. Kansas City 24 – 26 (16) 7 – 7: Lets hope soreness to the elbow of Yordano Ventura is not serious. The power of this club is abysmal.
Time to bring “Uncle” George Brett down for some hitting tutorials again.
16. Seattle 25 – 25 (15) 7 – 8: Mariners hanging in and have a lot of games at Safeco Field coming in.
May have finally found a leadoff man in James Jones. Need to find a suitable DH and OF that can hit now.
Robinson Cano may hit .330 – with 8 HRs and 110 RBI circa Tommy Herr 1985.
Ben Zobrist injury exposes what life will be like when he is not longer on the team eventually.
19. Miami 27 – 25 (22) 7 – 8: Giancarlo Stanton is bashing his way to the club contending. There is still a correction in record coming, when they make up the road games.
Big decision coming on whether they will trade Alexei Ramirez or not with his value being higher than ever.
22. Cleveland 24 – 28 (23) 7 – 8: It is two steps forwards and 3 back.
Hanging in for the AL Wild Card Race, and have the weighted AL Central Division, but must capitalize on it like they did in 2013
23. Boston Red Sox 21 – 29 (11) 3 – 11: David Ortiz to the rescue again last night, down 6 – 1, he hit a huge 3 run HR and saw his team win 8 – 6 afterwards.
24. Minnesota 23 – 25 (25) 7 – 8: Ron Gardenhire is doing a great job with this club being just 2 games under .500.
Phil Hughes pitching awesome in the last month. He is on the hill today versus Yu Darvish. He may end up at Target Field for the Midsummers Classic if he can keep it up.
25. San Diego 23 – 29 (27) 6 – 9: We have said it all along. Injuries were going to play a factor – and they have.
Hmmm. Its Brewster Millions at its best. Spend $30 MIL and have nothing to show for it. Hopefully Noah Syndergaard is okay.
28. Arizona 21 – 32 (28) 7 – 7: Playing .500 over the last month, too bad they started off so horribly. Trade some guys
29. Houston 20 – 32 (30) 9 – 6: George Springer is evolving right before our eyes. A 4 game HR streak (5 HRs), and he looks awesome.
Jose Altuve leading the Majors with Hits, and the AL in SB. The little dude can play.
30. Chicago 19 – 30 (29) 6 – 9: Glad the boys finally got a win for Jeff Samardzija. The guy has a great ERA of 1.68.
Jason Hammel has thrown well enough to be traded in a couple of months.
Manny Ramirez “The Mentor”… Not sure, but maybe they should give him a drug test before they ink the contract.
*** The views and opinions expressed in this report are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of mlbreports.com and their partners***
A Big thanks goes out to our chief writer Hunter Stokes for preparing today’s feature post.
For all of the Rosters, Depth Charts, State of the Unions and Salaries Posts that we do, please visit our dedicated page link here.
Please e-mail me at: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and feedback. To subscribe to our website and have the Daily Reports sent directly to your inbox, click here and follow the link at the top of our homepage.
Like us on Facebook here
Posted on May 27, 2014, in MLB Teams: Articles and Analysis, Players: Fantasy Baseball Articles and tagged Adam Eaton, adam wainwright, albert pujols, alex cobb, alexei ramirez, alfredo simon, Andrew Cashner, b.j. upton, bartolo colon, Brandon Hicks, brandon phillips, bret saberhagen, buster posey, carlos gonzalez, charlie blackmon, chase utley, chris sale, chris tillman, chris young, Coors Field, curtis granderson, darin ruf, david ortiz, david price, derek jeter, Domonic Brown, doug fister, drew hutchison, edwin encarnacion, francisco liriano, francisco rodriguez, gaby sanchez, george springer, Hyun-Jin Ryu, ichiro suzuki, ike davis, j.j. hardy, jake odorizzi, James Jones, jay bruce, jeff samardzija, jimmy rollins, joey votto, jose altuve, jose valverde, josh beckett, josh donaldson, josh hamilton, justin upton, justin verlander, kyle farnsworth, mark buehrle, masahiro tanaka, michael wacha, miguel cabrera, mike napoli, mike sciocia, Mike Trout, nelson cruz, nick hundley, Noah Syndergaard, nolan arenado, oscar taveras, pablo sandoval, phil hughes, prince fielder, r.a. dickey, raul ibanez, robbie erlin, robinson cano, ron gardenhire, ryan howard, ryan zimmermann, safeco field, shane victorino, shin-soo choo, todd frazier, tommy herr, victor martinez, yadier molina, Yordano Ventura, yu darvish, zack greinke. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.